Our Mission

"To enhance our members enjoyment of the sport of running"

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blood, Sweat and Mud

Standing at the starting line of the North Face Endurance Challenge Trail Half Marathon (NFECTHM) at Algonkian Regional Park in Sterling, VA, this past Sunday, I don't know if it was the decongestant I was taking for my head cold or the crisp late-Spring morning that had me calm and happy to be out for a run.  I had seemed to have forgotten I was about to be running for 2 hours on rough terrain at a hard, racing clip.  Though it was my 5th half marathon, this was truly a race to remember; it was my first TRAIL half marathon ... and VERY muddy trails at that.  I like to think I PR'ed (had a personal record - 2 hrs 14 min) since it was my first trail half, but the time was nearly 35 minutes slower than my road half marathon PR of 1:41 from just a few months ago.  This tells you something about the technicality and difficulty of the race course.

I've recently gotten more into "adventure" racing, which (for me) has included trail racing, mud runs with obstacle courses, and overnight team events (watch for more about the Ragnar Relay coming up later this year).  The race began at 8AM in a wet field that had already been made terribly muddy by the previous day's North Face Endurance Challenge races - 50 miler, 50 km and marathon.  The first half mile was on a concrete sidewalk that I would again look forward to at the end of the grueling race (because it was dry!).  The rest of the course involved various gravel, dirt, and muddy single- and double-tracks that ran along the Potomac Heritage Trail, which passes by the Trump National Golf Course and wonderfully quiet views of the Potomac River.  The first 3 miles were familiar to me as I've run this section of the course many times. It was moderately dry (relative to the rest of the course), flat, and not terribly technical footing. 

Once past the golf course, however, the previous day's runners had cut a new course to avoid a massive mud pit through some very tall grass that contained thorns. I can understand why they cut the new path - seriously, who would want to have their shoes filled with mud at mile 3 of a 50 mile race?  But before I knew it, my right leg was cut up and blood was running down. Eh, no big deal really and I got some fun remarks on it during and after the race.  I'm quite proud of my wounds, as you can see. 

Check out my wounds! Oh, yeah!
Almost immediately following this section were the steepest hills I've competed on since Georgetown Prep back in high school (which are probably just mole hills if I ever went back to that course).  I was shocked at how soon I found myself walking up and down hills. I take pride in saying that I eat hills for breakfast, so it's got to be pretty darn steep for me to walk a hill, especially during a race!  There were switchbacks, slippery downhills and more steep uphills before we were in the clear for the mile 5 water stop.  I don't know where those hills came from or what purpose they serve in geology, but North Face did a good job making that the icing on the trail cake.  

At the aid station, water, juice and Gu's were provided, which I gladly took because I knew I'd need another hour+ worth of energy to get through this race.  And, boy, was I right.  The next 3 miles until I returned to the same water stop (it was an out-and-back course) were absolutely mind-blowing. People were slipping and falling on the slick mud left and right.  One girl even thought she broke her ankle!  I, too, did the splits at one point and ended up with fists of mud, but stayed on my feet!  In addition to having to be ΓΌber strategic about your foot placement, you had to watch for the lead runners returning towards on this single track path.  Most of the time, it was fairly easy to squeeze yourself to the side, but sometimes I found myself sliding almost directly into someone just because I was trying to avoid them.  There were many small stream crossings that gave your feet a split second of cooling relief, just in time to sink your shoes back into the mud.  I could feel the blisters forming, but luckily I had a good fitting pair of shoes that didn't leave my foot too much room to slide (thanks for the great fitters at Metro Run & Walk Springfield!) and ended up with only a few tiny blisters.
Due to the nature of single-track courses, sometimes you end up in a line of runners.  The group of people I ran with briefly all had great spirits and we laughed about the run, forewarning oncoming runners (who's clothes were still clean) that they were about to get VERRRRRY dirty!  One of my favorite things about trail races is the camaraderie you have with your fellow runners.  We all knew it was a few miles to help if anyone hurt themselves, so runners always say, "Good job" when they are passing with care.
Once past the mile 8-ish aid station, I had to pass back over the hellish hills one last time before I would be in my familiar 3-mile homestretch.  My calves and legs burned so much that I almost felt light-headed trying to charge (read: walk/hike) up the hills.  I knew I'd get through ok, but I had to keep my head in the game.  One past that section, I felt happy and relieved that I had plenty of energy to make a dash those 3 miles back to the finish.  During those final miles, I really focused on enjoying the race.  I was working hard and felt good, despite a pretty nasty fever and head cold in the days leading up to the race.  Once out of the woods and back into the bright sun overhead, I had a good sprint the last mile to finish.  My GPS watch had lost reception about 1.6 miles from the finish (due to the thick tree covering), but I knew how far I had to go.  So, I didn't see my time until much later and was somewhat shocked I was a) slower than 2 hours and b) actually placed as high as I did in my age group (13th for the 25-34 year old females!) considering my slower-than-road time.

The post-race party included a beer garden, free and for-purchase food, games, raffles, a t-shirt screen printing tent, face painting, a photo stand, and, of course, a results tent.  It wasn't anything flashy, but considering the half marathon was only 582 participants (316 men & 253 women with an average time of 2:31:45.52) it was sufficient and intimate.  This 2-day festival included Saturday's ultra races, and a 10K, 5K and kids fun run on Sunday.  If you're thinking about doing this race next year, I highly recommend it!  Just be prepared for all weather and trial conditions, and run LOTS of hills in your training.  In a post-race survey, they mentioned possibly moving the race to March, so be sure to watch for announcements about registration. 

For results, photos and more information on the D.C. regional North Face Endurance Challenge Series, click here: http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/endurance-challenge/washington-dc/

-Amanda, NOVA VP

No comments:

Post a Comment